Saturday, February 22, 2014

Entering Week Three


Unemployment in the dead of winter could be incredibly depressing and yes I've had those days where I don't get out of bed.  But on my good days, I have been able to register with three staffing firms, had two full-time permanent job interviews, and am set up with an outplacement agency.  That creates glimmers of hope on the horizon.  I'm also really lucky to have a severance package so money panic isn't too high right now.  It will kick in around May if nothing has panned out.

Right now, I am focusing on finding a full-time permanent accounting/finance position.  I was a Staff Accountant this past year and the years before that I was a Financial Analyst.  Just give me a desk, an ERP system, and loads of data in Excel, I'd be happy.  Since I've been laid off from huge corporations three times, I'm looking at start-ups, non-profits, or higher ed as possibilities.  I'm also thinking of setting up Microsoft Excel training through a couple local charities for job seekers. It will be something to do and will keep me sharp.

On the bad days, my thinking goes to really dark places like how I can't envision a future for myself. Basically feeling like if I can't work, I'll be in my fifties on the streets. I also wonder if it was easier to lay me off since I self identified as disabled.  The other day, a guy offered me money to blow him (oh Quincy, I love thee) and I said no since it isn't May yet.  I kid!  I kid!

It is interesting to notice what I enjoy/respond to changing now that my life is in flux.  I don't think it's a coincidence that I devoured two seasons of House of Cards.  Come on, if I was Frank Underwood I would not have been laid off. Two other people would be and there might be a dead body somewhere.  




When I saw the play Coriolanus, my crush on Tom Hiddleston could not alleviate my disgust for Coriolanus the character. Ugh, if he mentioned his wounds one more time... Actually, I don't know if that's a combination of Tom doing a great acting job and me being a plebeian newbie wanting her grain.  It is a great production BTW and you can still see it in the U.S.



I do have to say my friends and family have really rallied around me which helps my spirits and broadens my network with job leads.  Feeling like a connected human being not a patient with the unemployment plague makes me a better interviewee at least!  The cats are loving having me home so much.  There is a lot more snuggling nowadays.  I'm getting through my Netflix queue as well (Bad Milo - dumb, Drinking Buddies - good but not fulfilling, and Crystal Fairy - really good).  The apartment is cleaner.

No comments: